Monday, March 9, 2009

Getting Twitter

I joined twitter in September and I “ didn't get it“. It seemed moronic to me. Someone was tweeting (what is twitter's word for posting) "Eating a snack" or something else just as mundane. At the time, I was writing for Buzz Prevention and we were required to promote our blogs in 26 places every two weeks. Twitter was one of the places I used for promotion. I would go on and tweet my latest Buzz Prevention Blog.

It wasn’t until Buzz Prevention put the Blog project on hold in December that I really started to enjoyed and understood twitter. The first thing I did that helped was using twitter grader http://twitter.grader.com it was there I discovered I had a very low ranking. Of course I wanted to improve my ranking, but how to go about it?

One feature that grader has is a search function where I entered various subjects I was interested in and it showed me all the twitter elite that were interested in the same subject. I looked for writers, pug lovers, swimmers, etc. I would then click on the person’s @theirname and read their bio. If they sounded like a person I would like to meet in person, I followed them.

I did this whenever I could and looked for chances to have conversations when they were tweeting. I concentrated on building relationship with fellow twitters, stopped the tweet, and run routine.

Since that time, I found a great writing group, found a writing class via twitter and met some fabulous people. Twitter is full of opportunities, but as with most everything in life it requires some work. The rewards are fabulous.

If you joined twitter and are not getting it, try-visiting it an hour a day and try Mr. Tweet http://www.mrtweet.net as well as grader. Oh yeah add me as a friend and I’ll follow you back @jerzegurl

2 comments:

kathleen duey said...

I agree, Twitter is interesting and can be fun. I am trying something very different (for me, anyway)...and I think that more and more people will find something to say beyond "am eating a yummy lunch"!!!

all best,
k

Gayle Hedrington said...

Thanks kathleen... hope to see you on twitter. You forgot to leave your tweet name.