Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Big GOTCHA and 9/11

Funny how things slip out of our mind the further away they get CNN reports that 30% of Americans feel we will have another terrorist attack on our soil. Down for 60% in 2002. It was only 7 years ago that 9/11 happened and at times it seems so distant. Our mind has the capability to ease painful events. In someways it is good, or we would be walking in fear every day of our lives. In other ways it allows us to forget what is important about our life.

Watching the news on 9/11/01 I was in shock as the events unfolded. Although I live in NH, I have family in NJ and Pennsylvania.. I also have a daughter who lives on the West Coast. Who was still sleeping and unaware what was going on, I feared the West Coast would be next. Fortunately it wasn't.

As the day went on, I was in a daze and felt many emotions, fear, sadness, anger, hope for survivors, and a blanket love for my fellow human being. We were all in this together. Much like siblings. The arguments over abortion, taxes, democratic vs. republican all seemed petty.

My husband and I went to see B.B. King and Buddy Guy on 9/11. The concert had already been postponed from the summer. We were surprised that it was still scheduled. It ended up being just the right place to be that evening. The crowd was friendly and we shared our thoughts, feelings, fears with one another, total strangers. Buddy Guy addressed the audience about the day's tragic events and noted that we are all leaving this world someday.

I look back on this as we are in the midst of a political season and all the candidates are looking for the big "GOTCHA." It all seems so foolish...

Do you fear another terrorist attack? If so why? If not, why not?

No comments: